Thursday, April 9, 2009

Random Acts

I love the "Random Acts of Kindness" movement.  You've seen the pretty purple bumper stickers - Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless Beauty.  The concept got a huge boost in the population at large with the movie "Pay It Forward."  (Great movie - but - spoiler alert - very sad!  Don't watch it unless you schedule some emotional recovery time afterward).  The new insurance commercial, (if I was a better consumer, I'd remember which company), about people doing simple kind acts for each other in a sort of chain reaction - love that, and shows that the concept has hit mainstream.

I, myself, often do nice and unnecesary things for strangers.  You, know, opening doors for people, helping people pick up stuff they dropped, letting people in during tight traffic situations.  Once I even paid for some guy's groceries because he was obviously on a tight schedule and his paycheck hadn't hit the bank yet - 6:00am on his way home from a double shift, he really didn't need to think about how to get back to the store before he went to work that night.  But the acts aren't really random.  In each and every incident, I saw a need, and I filled it.  I sort of look at these as opportunities to fill my Karmic bank account.  And being from a very proud, self sufficient family, I do not take withdrawls from that account.  I would never allow a stranger to give me money for something, and if someone helps me pick up stuff, I certainly do my best to pick up MORE, and thank them, profusely, - to prove that I appreciate, but did not NEED their help.  Oh no, needing other people?  not me.  no way. 

So - the other day, I was the recipient (victim?) of a truly Random Act.  Standing in line at the grocery store express lane, patiently waiting my turn to pay for the few items that were on my list the day before, but I forgot - dammit - don't have TIME to be going to the flipping grocery store everyday!  The lady in front of me had a small child with her, used her debit card to pay for groceries.  The checker started scanning my things.  The lady was still there, swiping her card - odd.  The fax machine at work allows multiple faxes and numbers to be entered in succession - I didn't realize that grocery store scanners had gotten so advanced, maybe she forgot to get cash with her purchase?  I walked up to the key-pad and started to scan my card - the clerk stopped me - oh no, the lady ahead - she paid for you.  WHAT?  REALLY?

Now - that was random.  As I walked out of the store, I saw her getting her child out of the cart, and started to thank her.  She said, "no, no, do something for someone else."  

Now I have been charged by the Gods of Generosity to repay an unfathomable debt.  I am looking.  Looking for the opportunity.  Something random.  Something faceless.  Something that will restore some random person's faith in mankind.  Or at least something nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment