I live in the city. Admittedly, 80 years ago my house was sort of on the edge of the city, but it is a decidedly urban neighborhood. 20 years ago it was a somewhat scary urban neighborhood. It is absolutely NOT the 'burbs.
I grew up in the middle of no-where. 1.5 miles to the nearest paved road. 7 miles to the nearest "town." 180 people does not qualify as a town in most American minds, but 30 miles away there was a town with a stop light, and 7 miles farther and actual town, with a hospital and cross streets.
I miss the interaction with wild creatures. Snakes, 'coons, Hawks, Owls, coyotes, everybody slipping into the farm for easy picken at the chickens. So - on a farm the wild is something to be pushed out, protected against. Predators are bad for chickens, baby ducks, bunnies, even small lambs and goats. Wild rabbits, deer and antelope need to be kept from crops. We could walk or ride our horse up the creek, miles from home, and enjoy the natural experience all we wanted - but we could not keep the injured wild animals we rescued, or babies we caught. Feeding or encouraging their presence was a no-no, and a danger to the family's food supply.
In town these creatures are a "nuisance." Exterminators get called when they show up; they are a possible threat to our very life an health. But they are so darned cute! If raccoons want to hang on my porch and eat rabbit food, I cannot force myself to have a problem with that. If a baby possum runs across the road, I will try to help it. Turtles, hawks, and dolphins in the river are wild creatures, learning to cope with man's manipulation of their world. They are beautiful to watch, and not considered a threat to humans. Even the bats in the neighborhood have support from the people. But my adorable raccoon family that keeps me awake at night fighting and makin' babies in the trees? They have adapted too well. Perhaps even dependent on us. I just hope when the city removes them, they are relocated, not "disappeared." If anyone knows different, please don't tell me.
And 'coon friends - I will not rat you out, you were never here. I saw nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment