Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brag Sheet

Maybe I should rename this Blog to "proud Mom endlessly blathers on and on about the amazing wonderful child, that can do no wrong, is perfect in every way."  Or maybe I should just post alerts when I slip into gushing mom mode.  Oh - that would be now.  Actually, to be fair to myself, I feel that I am entitled to the over-bragging, I am fully aware that the darkness is approaching.  She is 12, occasionally I get glimmers of the hell that only a teen-age girl can produce in a household, and I realize that I am not exempt, just delayed.  I can imagine that in a few years or months, the entire tone of this gushy little mom-fest can turn into the crazed angst of a mom in crisis.

So for now, in wonderful mom world:  Gym girl had her first practice meet.  I missed floor and beam, other parents told me she did great, of course, we are all so genuinely proud of our kids, and each other's kids, I'm never gonna get to hear "your kid sucked," or "gee, I was surprised she didn't do that well."  I won't get an honest opinion from the girl.  She always says she did horribly, and will pick apart every tiny little detailed mistake she made.  I'm sorry I missed her beam routine, not just 'cause it is fun to watch, but I would have liked to see the reaction of the people that have not seen her in a while.  My kid is strong.  Freakishly strong.  Her beam routine emphasizes that, and when people see her mount for the first time there is that sort of "wow, she is REALLY strong" moment.  And I would have liked to seen floor, I've only seen her routine once with the tumbling elements added, and it was the first time she did it.  It is a fun routine, cute, strong, fits her well.  I did get to see her bar routine.  She is the only prep-op girl doing giants, and she nailed her routine.  Giant, Giant, Lay-out fly-away.  Whooo-hooo!

From there we rushed over to Cafe Kili, where she donned her photo-girl persona and had her first little art show.  She handled all of the sales and tickets, sold about 10 prints and a couple of calendars (on a side note, if anyone actually reads this, calendars are still available on the Wild Child Pics website for delivery in time for Christmas).  Towards the end of the afternoon, she flipped through her receipt book, and I figured she was adding up the money she was making her head.  She threw me a curve when she hollered across the room, "Mom, we get to donate $22 to Metropolitan Ministries."  Now - that's a Mom moment!  I don't know if I'm more proud of her generous spirit and focus on what she can give, rather than what she can get (I am more proud of that), or if it is her ability to do math functions in her head.

This coming Saturday (December 12th) we will be at the Lutz Shop and Stroll.  First all day sales event for Wild Child Pics.  The bummer is, it is a weekend that she is with her dad.  Photo Girl and Darling Man will help me set up, then he goes camping, and she goes with her dad.  I get left selling artwork, hanging out in Lutz.  It will be fun, but it would be more successful if she were there.  No one wants to buy art from the pushy mom, they want to meet the girl.

On a completely unrelated topic, for the past few days our General Manager has been in the office, she was acting Director of Clinical Services the last time we were in between DCS', and she is covering for the current one in her absence (not sure, nor do I care about the details of the absence).  Anyway, when Michelle is around, the atmosphere is lighter, morale is a little higher, and walking into the office does not feel like a jaunt through the mine-fields.

Life is good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment