Sunday, February 21, 2010

Catching up

Atlanta was Awesome!  Gym girl nailed her back handspring on the beam, as part of her best ever beam routine.  We were floored when the score came up 7.7 - WHAT?!?!?!?  apparently Georgia prep-op rules are different than Florida.  We do a walk over series OR a back handspring.  In Georgia, you can do the handspring, but the walk over is required.  So her start value was almost 2 points lower than she thought.  Her coach accepted "coaching error" responsibility (love our coaches), and the gym girl was just delighted to have landed the skill.  Today would have been her 1st level 7 meet, but she decided to stay prep-op and fine tune.  Have to admire her maturity, I was very surprised at the decision.  

The World of Coke was a trip highlight - weird.  I would never have thought to take a factory trip for fun.  It was very cool, more like a Coke museum, with video of all the old commercials, samples of all the coke products around the world. Plus - there was SNOW.  Don't have pics to upload, but photo girl made a snowman when we got there, she named it Fred, and checked on him conscientiously all weekend.

This Friday one of the other moms and I took 5 of the school friends to the new Tampa Museum of Art to see the new Matisse exhibit.  Had no idea  that Matisse did so many nudes.  Not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't had 5 rather embarrassed pre-teens with me.  Love the new building.  The kids loved the new play ground.  The museum seems smaller, and the permanent ancient artifact exhibit seems all crammed in a tiny room.  But it was way fun, and good to get the girls out, get them some culture.  Of course - they spent most of the time texting the friends that had not been able to make it.  

Saturday I spent most of the day being reminded that the normally perfect child is, in fact, almost a teen-ager.  This includes hormones, attitude, and sketchy social skills.  Combined with my crazy, hyperventilating, anxiety state when I think I'm going to be late - or egads!  actually am late.  My poor husband is a saint, and deserves holy exhaltation.  I am very impressed with myself.  I did not actually yell at anyone.  I did not cry.  I did not throw up.  Then we drank wine and ate amazing food at a charity event all night.  Life is good - once again.

Wish us luck at the meet - off to make cookies.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment