Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chipaholic

Did I mention that I'm a little compulsive?  And sometimes my compulsions turn into obsessions?  And  lock myself into a spiral of "must dos"  that used to be "want to's?"  I have been making cookies for the Gym girl's meets since her very first one.  I enjoy it, the girls expect it (I should say anticipate, they are all way too polite to expect anything from me), the parents sort of count on it.  It is almost always chocolate chip, even if I do another variety, usually it is in addition to the chocolate.  Gym Girl insists.  She is not a big chocolate fan, but she LOVES chocolate chip cookies.  In fact her only complaint about mine is that there are too many chips - don't worry, that particular complaint goes ignored.

At Christmas time this year some of my besties came over and we made cookies.  Jill is an amazing cook, and one of the few people that I let run point in my kitchen.  She was in charge of chocolate chip.  She searched the internet for some recipes found a few she liked, and decided on a creative combo.  The dough was delish, but I was thinking really? that much salt?  MOLASSES in chocolate chip? bold.  will never pass the "kid" test. I was sooooo wrong.  The kids went nuts, even mine.  They are now family fav's and the only chocolate chip recipe that I use.  I am going to share this.  I'm sure Jill won't mind, and even if she does - I have the only copy, as she scribbled it down on a piece of paper at my house and left it.  If she ever wants to see her recipe again, she will keep quiet and let me do the talking.   

Jill's Chocolate Chip
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 lg eggs
1 1/2 Tbs.  molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 - make sure it is all the way heated before baking.  drop by huge tablespoons onto cookie sheets.  The sheet in the picture is extra large, I usually put 6-8 on a pan.  Really, smaller cookies don't do as well with this recipe.  Bake for 12-14 minutes.  Let cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan.  
Be prepared for the awe and admiration of all who know you.  Hide a few for midnight snack attacks.  Have plenty of milk on hand, the extra salt enhances flavor, but there is a huge thirst factor involved.


Thank Jill - but don't tell her where you got the recipe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment