Except April is way too early. Freezing. + there was a freak storm the night before and the water was cloudy. This was photo-girl's first trip with the underwater kit. She really wanted pictures of Christmas worms. The Ferry tickets are really expensive for people on a budget - and wimpy or not, we aren't going back anytime soon. SUCK IT UP! I learned that the body will adapt to very cold water if the motivation is high. I also learned that swimming fast with fins is a very cardiovascular activity. and I am old. and out of shape.
Musings of a country-girl transplant. Work, Play, Family, Frustration, and Fun in the sweltering Florida sun. This is the "other-blog" as my public blog is focused on work, research, and a quasi-medical soap box. This is just me.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Tropic Freeze
One of my favorite day trips from the Keys is to take the ferry out to the Dry Tortugas. Rich in pirate lore and American history, these little islands are beautiful gems. 72 miles south and west of Key West, Fort Jefferson is a ruin on Garden key, A fortress against invaders, the prison of Dr. Mudd. And PERFECT Snorkeling.
Except April is way too early. Freezing. + there was a freak storm the night before and the water was cloudy. This was photo-girl's first trip with the underwater kit. She really wanted pictures of Christmas worms. The Ferry tickets are really expensive for people on a budget - and wimpy or not, we aren't going back anytime soon. SUCK IT UP! I learned that the body will adapt to very cold water if the motivation is high. I also learned that swimming fast with fins is a very cardiovascular activity. and I am old. and out of shape.
It was worth it, but we will need to get back when it is a little warmer. May is perfect, but we have to skip school. June is early Hurricane season - but is usually OK. The next trip down we will probably go out to Loo Key, but we really want to go back to Fort Jefferson, and spend a few days camping. Maybe next year.
Except April is way too early. Freezing. + there was a freak storm the night before and the water was cloudy. This was photo-girl's first trip with the underwater kit. She really wanted pictures of Christmas worms. The Ferry tickets are really expensive for people on a budget - and wimpy or not, we aren't going back anytime soon. SUCK IT UP! I learned that the body will adapt to very cold water if the motivation is high. I also learned that swimming fast with fins is a very cardiovascular activity. and I am old. and out of shape.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment