Well, since the last post I have been trying to be effective, position myself to be helpful, even. What have I accomplished? I completed an "Oiled Wildlife Response" class; I have taken three courses on-line from FEMA on Incident Command Systems, I have renewed my basic life support (first aid) credentials. Next week I take the BP sponsored HAZMAT training, and check out a Florida DART (disaster animal response team) meeting. I have register myself to volunteer, but I am only going to be able to answer phones or whatever. I have registered the little girl and I to help with pre-oil beach clean up if it looks to threaten our local beaches.
But - what have I accomplished? Probably nothing. In order to actually be involved in clean up, either on the beaches, or with the animals, I have to be affiliated with a group that will be called (DART is one, Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary another), and even if I start volunteering with those groups, I don't get to go out in the field until I have completed their required hours or trainings. There will probably not be time before it is necessary, so I've sort of resigned myself to volunteering anyway I can, even if it means paperwork, or dealing with the public. I just think that any of us that can do something, should. So I'm willing to do whatever I can.
Oh - and there was a tie-dye party with 15 or so of my daughter's friends (at my house). And the gym pool party (at the local pool). And the first day at Adventure Island for the season. And my first week at being a per-diem home health therapist. And good - GREAT- news about my mom's cancer.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment