I have one of each. Sort of. I inherited the older 2 when I married the wonderful Darling Man. The nearly teen is mine. The 26 year old and nearly man are now roommates. It is kind of cute, they are so "brother and sister," but the she still takes care of him like he is 5, and he still teases his big sister like he's 12.
They have decided to get a dog. She already has one. Maddy - my only grandpuppy. Sweet, loving. Annoying, hyper little pee factory. Recently the Nearly Man went to the Largo SPCA (great facility) and he convinced his sister they needed a dog. So the search is on. Humane society, rescue sites, SPCA. Then they decide to go to the pound - because they want to rescue a dog from being euthanized, and because pound adoptions are cheap. But they really can't agree on what dog. He wants medium to big - a border collie or Aussie, something that will catch a frisbee and play with him. Or a lab that will wrestle and run. She wants a playmate for Maddy, and is absolutely opposed to long hair shedding dogs. The compromise seems to be hounds. Maybe because they are short she thinks they are small? anyway - every puppy on line is adorable, and they want them all.
Friday the took a trek to the pound, and took the little sister and one of her friends with them. Just before they left, they mentioned that they can't get a dog for at least a month, because they are baby-sitting their Mom's dogs until she moves. WHAT? you are going to the saddest place on earth, knowing that you can't help any of them right now? Did anyone think this through?
I got the call about 1/2 an hour later. I did not even bother to say "hello." I answered with "NO, you are not bringing a dog home." long pause. "How did you know what I was going to say?" well - because I am OMNI-mom - the all knowing and far-seeing. It was the superior powers of my crystal ball that allowed me to fortell her thoughts, even at that great distance. She doesn't want a dog, she just wants to babysit until the siblings can take it home. Except that we will be gone for two weeks, leaving the darling man to care for our 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 1/2 rabbits, lizard, bird, house, yard, and full time job with out us. I told her to call him. He laughed. She hung up. Apparently there were real tears involved.
Another parenting lesson learned. Treks to the pound when you are not actually getting a dog may not be a great idea with emotional young people. Still - they all want to do it again. They are even more determined to rescue a puppy.
Completely off the subject. I am very proud of my daughter and her friends. Navigating adolescence is hard, and they are helping each other through, and keeping each other on track.
No comments:
Post a Comment