Saturday, August 20, 2011

Under The Sea

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
                           - Eleanor Roosevelt 
About 5 years ago I was visiting a friend in the keys when the girl child decided she wanted to go snorkeling. ACKKKKK I had been snorkeling, when I was very young, out at Looe Key, it was beautiful, and amazing, and I went into full panic mode everytime I got water in the snorkel. I'm sure my newly minted husband was already having second thoughts.  Flash forward to the beautiful blue-eyed blonde, pleading with me, and telling me how easy it is - she does it with her Dad all the time.

I am not a momma that likes to deny my child new experiences, and I certainly don't want her to grow up tainted by my fears, so, I agreed.  The darling man got me a cool "dry snorkel" we found a pretty little glass-flat, bath temperature, waist deep inlet and waded in. The girl says "see mommy?" stuck her face in the water and took off.  Me? Gingerly put my face in (bent at the waist) and, yes, the snorkel did its job.  With great trepidation I picked up my feet and started flailing like a mad women. At this point the Darling Husband convinced me to relax and quit stirring up the water. And guess what?  I float! 15 years and 40 pounds after the previous attempt, my body composition is perfect for water sports.  And it was on! a couple of snorkel trips to the keys a year, mask in the water at local beach days - go me.  

I have to mention that I am probably world's laziest snorkeler.  I often lay on a boogie board with my mask in the water while Fish Child pulls me around. And I don't get my face wet, or go under the water. So - time for the next step.  SCUBA.  It is a logical step.  Photo girl is old enough, wants to beef up her underwater skills, loves the water.  We live in Florida, for goodness sake! Plus, instead of whining because I miss my mountains, you would think after 20 some odd years I'd take a look see at the natural beauty offered by my immediate surroundings.  The problem is that "beautiful Florida" is mostly underwater.

I am NOT afraid of the water. I just go into full freaky panic mode when my face gets wet.  Logic, reasoning, knowledge that I am safe, all go AWOL the second water gets in my mask.  I am blind, and I cannot breathe.  Really.  I don't get my face wet in the shower.  I kind of thought SCUBA would be a cinch - I was significantly more worried about financial hurdles than mental ones. Besides, I'm not about to let my 14-year old 50ft under the surface without me. I bought all the gear, hoping my fear of wasting money is stronger than my fear of water.

No one told me that we would practice clearing the mask UNDER water.  Or that I would have to tread water for 10 minutes (I never learned how - useless skill for someone that does not get wet). The first day in the pool  was AWFUL,  H-E- double hockey sticks, AWFUL.  Every time I opened my mouth to put the regulator back in, my mask fills with water.  Instant panic.  Yes - I have air, Yes - I can breathe.  But there is water in my nose and I can't see - I am blind I tell you, BLIND. I would be very hard to rescue - they will have to knock me out so I don't drown everyone.

Jeff - amazing instructor guy at Mac Sport is very patient and very firm.  The second day was all about "you are OK, you can do this.  Do it again.   and Again.  Do it one more time.  OK, do it again," etc, etc. And did it, I did.  Yay me! 

Then it was fun! My nutball daughter even convinced me to do head stands with her at the bottom of the pool - and forgave me for letting her drown in buddy breathing scenarios when my legs cramped up just when we reached the surface. She saved me, of course.  She's the calm one.

The girl child is amazing - and very proud of her mommy.  We waited until she was older, because I knew that I could not be depended on to be calm in an underwater scenario, and she definitely is stepping up.  We still have a pool class, and a couple of open water dives.  My next challenge is properly clearing the ears, and learning how to maintain neutral buoyancy - We had tons of fun on the bottom of the pool, but I still can't hear 2 days later, and that big pile of money on the floor is not going to go away just because I go deaf when I dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment