Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Green Eyed Devil

 

 Ah! the Green Goddess! What is the fascination that makes her so adorable and so terrible?”—Aleister Crowley

 

The quote above regards absinthe - which I am developing a taste for, but, what I really want to babble about is Gin. I am a fan. I do not drink much alcohol, and due to a wild and derelict youth, there are very few hard spirits that do not inspire nausea and horrible visceral reactions. Tequila I can still drink - I have no idea why, the number of worms I have consumed, and the bottles I have seen the bottom of, would have me assume that I should avoid it, yet somehow I still enjoy an occasional Margarita, or sunrise, or shot. The same cannot be said about Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, Sambuco, or any other alcohol that is readily available to high schoolers all over the world.  I quit drinking at 17 for good reason, and did not drink at all until I was 27.

Why Gin? My parents drank Gin and Tonic in the summer.  I grew up thinking that Gin was the nastiest thing, I hated Gin, never drank it. When I found out it was made out of Juniper Berries, I felt like I had betrayed my birth right by not imbibing. Oregon's desert have the one of largest varieties of Juniper in the world, second only to Jerusalem. The smell of Juniper (and Sage) makes me desperately home sick and conjures up some very deep feelings in my little country soul. When Bend Distillery started making Gin from organic Wild Juniper, I realized that I would have to suck it up and at least try it.  Well, guess what? I don't hate Gin.  I do hate Tonic Water.  It's a good thing I did not drink Gin when I was younger - I probably would have gotten desperately ill and never been able to stomach it again.

So now when I go home I make a trip to Bend Distillery and pick up a couple of bottles.  This year I was surprised that we have a new Distillery in Bend - Oregon Spirit Distillers, and I LOVE them. They do all kinds of cool stuff, including Absinthe (The Green Goddess has bewitched me), and lots of other spirits. Their Gin is a a Genever style called MerryLegs, and it is delicious! The Pic is from their Distillery tour - I would love to have this in my house.

So, when I am out, I almost always order gin on the rocks with a twist. I know what to expect, am never disappointed, and don't have to think. Then there is Domani's, wonderful local bistro with amazing food and the best bartenders around. I love Pete and Bosco, they are both very fun and creative. If I say "I love gin, not too sweet, surprise me." They will create something amazing. I can't even describe the delights they have poured for me, and I'm not sure either one could replicate the things they do. But they are an inspiration, so when I am home I try to be creative, too.  And here are my most recent self-made favorites:

Magic Carpet:
sugar cube in champagne flute
coat the inside of the glass with absinthe
1 0z gin (love the Merry Legs for this)
Shaken with juice from 1/2 lemon
pour into glass, top with Proseco

Green Eyed Monster:
muddle about 4 basil leaves with zest from 1/2 a lemon in glass, add ice
Coat the inside with absinthe
shake 1 oz gin with  juice of lemon
pour over ice, top with club soda

 Blue Moon:
Ice and 1/2 oz Blue Curaco in glass
1 oz Gin - I really love Desert Juniper gin from Bend Distillery
Top with Ginger Beer

Wow - only two posts in a year, and both about alcohol consumption - not my norm, but, gotta keep these recipes somewhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment