I am the mom of a pre-teen. She is getting bigger, more independent. In many ways she is more fun, loving, and distant. She carries on whole conversations with her peers that I don't understand. Not only do I not understand what the conversation is about, the terms and words do not make sense in the context of my old school '80's up-bringing. I have turned into my mom. Thank god I'm not raising me.
Amidst the babble of pre-teen girl chaos, cupcakes were created.
These are girls that have been at my house on a regular basis since kindergarten. They know the drill; we always do a variety of crafts projects. They help set up, and even as tiny girls, they helped me clean. Today was different. I have never decorated a cake. I know zero about it. My daughter and one of her friends had a cake decorating lesson a few weeks ago, and they were in charge.
E. spent the night, so she could help the Darling Girl make the cupcakes. My oven is a little tricky, so I put the cupcakes in and took them out. This morning the twins came over. All I did was color the frosting and load the frosting bags. Then I did laundry. Played on the computer. Worked on the Wild Child web site. Cooked lunch. Walked to the store to get soda. Cleaned the upstairs. Swept. Did dishes. Twice. and cupcakes happened. Without me. They are beautiful, and I'm not talking about just the cupcakes. I did not even clean up the mess.
It is sad. But very cool. They are growing into beautiful, talented, responsible young women. And I am proud to know everyone of them.
What a great story and what beautiful cupcakes!
ReplyDelete