OBAMA
NOBAMA
barrak HUSSEIN obama
Mr. President
Not in my lifetime has a single man captured the American spirit to this extent. Even the prejudices against his race, background and alleged religious affiliations make this a truly "American" story. I like him. and I say that from a very conservative republican background. Yes - he will spend tons of money and increase our deficit. In the mean time he will regulate the large corporate structures that have been surviving on government hand-outs and tax-breaks for years. Ideally what being a republican means (for me) is pretty simple. You work hard, you get what you earn. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. You play fair, you get to keep playing. You screw-up, you take responsibility and fix it.
Well - corporate america - you haven't played fair, and you screwed up. And, my fellow Americans, we have become a society that spends more than we make, and prefers socializing to hard work (seriously, when was the last time you were in a retail store or restaraunt where the employs were not plugged into their cell phones?) I do not think that things will get better soon. In his Inaugral speech, Mr. Obama promised us hope, but demanded a price. I believe (hope) that things will begin to change. Any short term fix will be a bandaid, and I do not believe that Mr. President is going to be slapping band-aids on as a permanent solution.
I am proud that as Americans we were able to overcome our prejiduces enough to elect a Black man with a funny name. I am disappointed that his race is viewed as the central issue, and for a lot of people was the deciding factor in voting (or not) for him. I feel that for the first time in a very long time we have elected a true "Statesman" a man that is a politician in the purest, and most original sense of the word. A man that is willing to listen, and perhaps integrate, opposing views.
When did compromise become a dirty word? We live in a democracy (sort of). There is no democracy without compromise. We have had leaders - what this country needs is a visionary. Now we have one. Will we be willing to make compromises and sacrifices to follow the vision? I don't think that Barack will change a lot in 4 years, maybe not even (if allowed) in 8; but, I think he will design a structure that allows permanent change to occur. I won't agree with a lot of his decisions. But I do trust that he will make the tough decisions from a place of thoughtfulness, intelligence and integrity.
Favorite blurb from media and conversation:
"He is making it cool to be smart again"
And - we gotta love having kids in the white house.
No comments:
Post a Comment