Monday, September 28, 2009

Muffacino

The Gym Girls - collectively - not just mine, can talk me into just about anything.  They work hard.  They are young, innovative, fresh.  And - they love it when I bake.  Ok, it is a bit of an ego-boost to have pre-teens and teens LIKE something created by an adult.  If you have one, or are around them, or remember what they are like, you will realize that they are a tough audience.  Not easily impressed.

So when they compliment me  (:-), then start pouring out all the endless possibilities that their young minds can dream up; well, I do my best to make it happen.  Last week it was cookies and cream muffins.  Vanilla muffins, crunched up Oreo cookies, sweetened cream cheese filling.  They debated the pros and cons of the filling, but over all a hit.  For the record, I started making muffins for the car-pool girls when they needed healthy snacks on the way to gym, and my daughter had gone primarily vegetarian.  These muffins were packed with calories and tons of soy, nut and dairy based proteins crammed into the crevices.  Banana is the favorite, with pumpkin cream cheese (a seasonal item) running a close second.


There is nothing remotely healthy about the latest trend in muffining.  They are eliminated from cupcake status merely by the lack of frosting.  But they LOVE them. And I make them.  maybe they love ME.  In my delusional attempt to stay within the favor of the adolescents in my life - I am driven by taste, texture and their creative palates.  The Mufficino has been floating around in the coversation for weeks.  Coffee (yes with caffeine - dare I tell their parents?), chocolate, swirls of creamy vanilla.  MochaMufficino.

Last night was the attempt.  Today the judgment.  
Vanilla muffin batter (heavy on the sugar, I use a particularly fluffy recipe), divided into thirds,  instant coffee in one, baker's cocoa in another, equal parts in the muffin cups, swirl with a skewer - bake to perfection.  Sweet, Sweet Success.  They DO love me.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment