Tampa has banished pan handling. This is not unusual, most cities and counties in Florida have gone this route. It is unsightly, and dangerous, and make almost everyone uncomfortable. When the ban happened I heard an immediate sigh drift across the city. "We" suddenly do not have to be bothered by "them." My daughter and I are concerned about some of the homeless that we have come to expect on certain corners. I'm kind of opposed to giving money - and I don't regularly carry cash. But, I almost always carry an extra sandwich that I give to someone, and I buy bottle water from the ones that attempt to be productive, and not outright begging. And, yes - I am admitting to being judgey, and trying to justify it by being less judgey than others, and even admitting a mild discomfort and curiosity about these people that I used to see every day.
I am nearly positive that it is part of Tampa's overall beautification program while we gear up for the Republican National Convention this August. Pretty roads, effective signage, street sweepers (really - I've seen them), and of course all of those nasty homeless off the streets. I don't predict a serious crack down on the Occupiers (yes, they are still at it, a handful of very dedicated protesters) until July. I think the city/state officials are just hoping they will get bored and go away.
Who are these homeless, anyway? Why can't they just find a job? Why are there so many? Things I worry about are - if they aren't pan-handling - where are they getting money? or food? The shelters and charitable organizations are struggling for donations, more mouths to feed, less funds to do it with. They no longer have the humiliating option of looking me in the eye and saying "please." It only lessens my discomfort while I say "no." Jail may be good for a square meal - maybe - they will drag a homeless person down and book them, but I doubt if we have the space to really hold them all. We certainly are not going to care for them until they get back on their feet.
Please don't toss out the "it's what they choose" line to justify the fact that we don't care. Yes, they may have chosen to leave an abusive situation, or been tossed out by families that cannot survive another day of living with alcoholism, addiction, or mental illness, but these are "choices" made in extreme circumstances. I hope to never be in a situation where this choice is even on the table. Forty percent of Florida's homeless are families. Whole families. Husband, Wife, Children. Or just mom and kids. Or dad and kids. Choices get made, and statistics show that people that are homeless because of job loss and evictions tend to be very short term. People that have bootstraps to pull will pull them. We are Americans - we are a tough lot. But - combine abuse, mental illness, addiction, illness, old age, or youth with a really bad situation and things may quickly spiral out of control.
Florida is notorious for its population of homeless veterans. Nationwide veterans account for 50% of the homeless population. 28% of those live in Florida, California and Texas. Only 11% of all vets live in these states. There are more homeless Vietnam era vets than there were casualties during the entire Vietnam conflict.
Statistics are shifty. The homeless are counted only where they can be found. If you are in a hospital, or prison, or facility for treatment of mental disorders, you don't get counted. You don't get to be a homeless statistic until they let you out with no resources and you end up on the street. If you are in a rural area, or the wilds, you don't get counted.
There is a little lady that hangs out on the corner, sitting on a bus bench. She has been there ever since they passed the no-panhandle ruling. I never saw her pan handle, so her appearance on the bench was a surprise. She keeps her belongings neatly folded on the bench below her, or in the pull cart near by. She sleeps in a carefully made cocoon behind the bench that she folds up around her while she sits. We bring her hot soup on cold nights. She is not there today, and neither is any of her stuff. I hope she is OK, and hope wherever she is she gets a comfortable bed and a hot meal or two. If she does not come back, I hope it is because she found a comfortable place to be, and people to look out for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment