Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ugly isn't everything

I am posting a recipe. I originally happened on the idea while stumbling on the web with StumbleUpon. I loved the idea, was not happy with the recipe - cookies? no eggs? weird. So, I shelved it.  Last night I realized it was either housework, taxes, or baking.  Hmmmmm - I do have a very lonely unopened box of Oreos. I think I have cream cheese from a dip idea I never pursued. I have an instant resource from creative chefs all over the country (I LOVE food Bloggers) - Taxes will be there all weekend, and I reallllllly hate to clean.

I started with a recipe from Kirbie's Cravings, and it sort of morphed into the ugliest cookies I ever saw. I have a vast array of willing and able taste-testers, all of them will overlook ugly, if the presentation is sound.  and by sound, I mean if I say "I made cookies," they respond. Quickly.  It's a little Pavlovian.

The Darling Husband, The Gym Girl, her entire team, coaches, parents and random stray children at the gym - siblings and what not, all seemed to love them.  Some even declared them "not ugly." I have seen their pets.  They may not be the most discerning when they love something.

The amazing thing is, I wrote down what I did before it left my head completely.  I actually have a recipe!

Cookies and Cream Cookies
(ugly cookies)

1 cup butter
1 8oz package cream cheese
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp whipping cream (or milk)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour
2 cups crushed oreos
1 cup chocolate chips, chopped
1 cup white chocolate chips, chopped

Preheat oven to 350oF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper – don’t skip this

With an electric mixer beat until smooth all ingredients except oreos, flour and chips.  Stir in flour. Stir in oreos. Stir in chips.
Drop cookies by rounded teaspoons onto parchment paper. Bake at 350oF until bottoms are a light, golden brown – 12-15 minutes. Take out of oven, and leave on pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to rack. 
Let cool – serve with milk.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment