I think I'm in shape. Not the 20-something, 138# size 3 with 11% bodyfat I was before I got pregnant. No. NOTHING like that. Not even close. I walk every day, work out occassionally, will take the stairs if given an opportunity. Will do full day hikes in the mountains a couple of times a year. Yeah - I'm OK for a forty-something medium height, medium build gray haired lady that wouldn't be caught dead in a two piece bathing suit.
Every Friday I have a business lunch at the Tampa Club. It is beautiful. Situated on the 42nd floor of the Bank of America building, overlooking beautiful Tampa Bay. The food is delicious, the luncheon stimulating and fun, and the perfect end to my business week. I usually go flying as fast as I can to hit the elevators and make it back over (then up) to the parking garage to get to my daughter's school in time for the weekly volunteer hour in her classroom. So, this Friday, I rushed out of our room, only to find that the lobby, hall and elevator area was packed. Apparently the public defenders office had their Holiday party, and the entire staff was waiting for the elevators.
This is a no brainer. One set of elevators go to the upper levels, another set goes to the 15-32nd floor, and a third set for the lower floors. I figured I would take the stairs down 10 flights, hop onto the other set of elevators and be on my way. Well - I wasn't entirely sure what floors had different elevators, and was feeling OK after 10 floors, so I thought I would go down a few more. After about 15 floors, I was pretty done, a little shaky, but good, and feeling good about the health benefits. But - I had obligations, and needed to get going. So, I pulled on the door handle.
Locked. In fact the sign informed me that this was a locked stair case with access at the roof and basement. 43 floors? Well I certainly wasn't going up. And did not want to be stuck on the roof. So, I kept walking. 12 steps to the landing. Turn. 12 steps to the next floor. Turn. Repeat. As I got to the first floor, someone opened the door. My Angel. I honestly did not think I was going to make it to the basement, plus I wasn't sure how I was going to get out once I got there.
My legs were shaking, I actually took the escalator, without walking it to the bridge level (to get to the garage). Did I mention the shaky legs? Got to my car (heaven) and drove the 20 minutes to the school.
Now - have you ever exercised really, really hard, then just sat down, cold, without letting the muscles cool down, say with air conditioning blowing on those tired muscles?
When I stepped out of the car - I crumpled (thank god no one could see). I was able to drag myself to upright on the car door, and walked slowly, with dignity into the school. But I have paid dearly for the impatience. I cannot go up or down stairs without a vocal little ow ow ow ow with each step. (OK, I could, but then how would everyon know how miserable I am?)
I'm recovering. The daughter is sympathetic, but I'm sure she could have walked UP those 42 flights without a bit of remorse. The husband has been gone all week-end, so has not been able to lavish me with sympathy or smirks.
No comments:
Post a Comment